Thursday, May 26, 2011

32 years and counting

Yesterday my parents celebrated 32 years of marriage. I think it's great. I envy my parents and I hope to one day find someone and be married forever. My Mom said it was Love at first sight. I'm not personally 100% sold on the idea but apparently it happens. And I'm glad it happened. I think that having a good relationship model to look at gives me a better understanding of how a marriage should work. It's not enough to Marry for Love. There's more that goes into the equation. They dated for 5 years before getting married though.Since I'm on a 5 year plan I'm not sure i have 5 years to date someone first and also I just don't have the patience. Something  you may or may not know about me is that i can be quite impulsive. If I knew it was right and He was the one I might just  jump the Gun and get it over with quickly then throw a huge party later. Maybe I would then save some money on a full scale wedding although  i guess most of the money is spent on the reception.  

I hope my parents stay together forever. They make me believe in that Fairy tale love that I hope to one day have or at least come close to having. I know love and relationships aren't perfect and they have their ups and downs.  Growing up I was one of few kids at school that didn't have step parents and i thought my parents were perfect. After I got older like once i turned 18 I've had some real conversations with my mom and I've discovered that my parents aren't perfect, but I do thank them for not ever fighting in front of me. I think its wrong to involve kids in any drama the parents are having. Not to put my parents out on blast. But i can recall this one time where I saw my dad sleeping on the couch as opposed to with my mom and it was really awkward and a little shattering to the image i of have of my parents. I hold them on the highest of pedestals and It's just... well not sure of what the right word should be, but It's almost like earth shattering and heart crushing.  I don't know. I just realized how ridiculous that sounded. but It's how I feel in the best way i know how to put it. Regardless of their imperfectness I still hope to have a long lasting fun marriage like my parents have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment